Sunday, April 12, 2015

Awareness Article #26
Science of Being
Swami, recently gave two pages of writing,
What is Yoga? Awareness–(lack of awareness is cause of misery)
To be aware of divinity within us. Makes whole–head, heart,hand
Chitti Vritti Nirodha
1/10 of brain power only used yoga to help to develop creativity
science of being. Acquire divinequalities–gradually
Spirituality–to give & to accept
Now let us see about this. The reason for all suffering in the world is
unawareness. If we haveawareness,we will ask ourselves, ‘Why have I been born? What
is the reason for birth?’ We will ask, know and then understand. This is called ‘Sat Chit
Ananda’. Sat is God, Chit is constant integrated awareness. This is a continuous one
pointed awareness. The one who has this awareness knows of God and attains bliss,
Ananda.
Divinity is present in all things. We must make it whole and complete in us.
Swami has often told of this as ‘I am God, you are also God’. If werealizethis, we can
become God. There are seven chakras in thekundalini. Yet, each one is closed. In the
basechakra,a power lies like a coiledsnake. Throughsadhana,we awaken this Shakthi
in us. The Mooladhara Shakthi then crosses eachchakrauntil it merges with Shiva in
sixthchakraor third eye. This is happiness. It is only when one attains this statethat
divinity becomes whole and complete. It is for this Swami said, ‘head,hand, heart’. This
is three H’s,harmonizingto become one.
In order for this to happen, we must function with awareness. Whatever thoughts
arise in the head must be pure. In order for this tohappen,the heart must be filled with
love. Heart becomes whole and perfect through this love. We must show love to all.
Then only our thoughts become pure. Whatever work is done through the hands must
be offered to God. When we offer all to God, each work becomes sanctified. Yoga means
ChittiVrittiNirodha-to control the mental impulses andthoughts, whicharise in the
Chitta.
Discipline is essential for this control. We must perform each task at a particular
time, making it a habit. When we live life according to a timetable, the senses come
under control naturally. They then also follow the same timetable. I wrote this as Yoga
Sutra. Swami has now said to connect Yoga Sutra with this chapter.Again Swami tells
... Yoga helps the science of B
eing

1


Man only uses 1/10 ofthe brain. It is through the science of beingthat we can
progress through yoga. There are eight steps on the path ofyoga. Sage Patanjali was the
one who found this out, ‘Ashtanga Yoga’,arethe eight steps or disciplines ofyoga. Yoga
helps to make the mind and body healthy. Ordinarily, many subjects are studied in a
syllabus. Yet, there is no science of being and spirituality. A syllabus may contain some
classes on morality that is all. It does not cover the whole science of being, how to live
life in the correct way. Life will be good, if the basis is spirituality. However, schools do
not conduct classes on spirituality. TheScience ofBeingis of the utmost importance.
When we progress spiritually, we can develop and accrue good qualities. Spirituality
means to give and accept.
5 July 2013 Eveningmeditation
Vasantha:Swami, shall I write on Yoga Sutra? What is the science of being?
Swami:Your life is Yoga Sutra; it is verily the science of being. Your childhood
was with God. Your time at school,your marriage time, family life,
bringing up of the children and living in a joint family, were all with God
and was living the science of being.
Vasantha:Now I understand Swami.
End ofmeditation
Swami said that mylife is verily the science of Being,which is Yoga Sutra. What is
yoga? Yoga means to connecttheJeevatma withtheParamatma. Connecting ourselves
with God isyoga. Whatever I see,I connect with God. What I hear,I connect with God.
Whatever is done through the five senses, I connect with God. I have practiced the 18
Yogas of the Gita in my life. This is the science of being.
To connect all things with God, is the science of being.
As achild,I was with God. Iwould play with a Krishna doll andtalk with Krishna.
I did not play with others. My playmate was the doll. I went away to study atschool and
stayed in a hostel. There also I did not join with others. Due to my fearfulnature,I was
always alone,living in thoughts of God. I would pray to Jesus.I wanted to marry
Krishna,a marriagehappened, butI married God not knowingit. From my young age,I
listened to stories of the great Bhakthas.I would not go to sleep at night without hearing
a story. Thus, God did all in a hidden way. I lived with Him. When I was a born, it was
He Himselfwho would make me sleep. I lived an exemplary family life. Ours was a joint
family, where I showed humility and love to all. At that time, all lived in separation from
their wives and children. I would always contemplate, ‘What is the reason for this
separation?’ When I prayed to God, I found out the reason. The Lord ofTirupatilives
atop the seven hills alone,the goddess, lives in separation at the bottom. I vowed to
make this goddess unite with the Lord,who is atop the seven hills. Why did I think in
this way? I did not know the reason. It is only now I have understood that this
representsthekundalini'ssevenchakras
.

2


I trained my children when they were very young to write aself-analysisdiary. I
then trained them to walk on the Gita’s path and only live for God. I taught them to
sacrifice for others.I made them meditate three times a day, sing bhajan and offer
prayers. I taught them not to see the faults in others, but to look at theirown instead.
When I came to know of Swami, I read His teachings and practiced.I told all in the
house that He is the Maha Avatar. My father practiced the Gitaand we also followedHis
path. This is the science of being. Therealizationof truth, knowing wisdom and
followingdharma is the science ofbeing.ThePurusharthasare the four goals of human
life:Dharma, Artha, Kaama and Moksha. I practiced these four in my spiritual life. I
followed theashramas, the four stages of human life. I practiced alldharmas, clan
dharma, castedharma, thedharma of a woman. I practiced all perfectly with strength.
This isyoga. Frombirth to death whatever we do,we must connectallwith God. This is
yoga.
Kaama + God is equal to Yoga.
The root of Kaama is feelings. Whatever feeling arises in the mind must be
connected with God. This isyoga.Whatever we see, talk of or listen to, must be
connected with God. In the early days ofsadhana, I practiced in this way. Whatever
anybody said, I connected the first word they spoke with God. If I saw any
advertisement in the street, I connected this with God. Someone here says peacock, I
immediately connect it with Krishna, who wears the peacock feather on His head. If
anyone asks, ‘Where are you going?’ I say in my mind, ‘I am going to God’. If anyone
asks, ‘Shall we eat?’ I think, ‘Food for what? Is it food for stomach or Atma?’ In this way
I would think and think.
Ihave practiced in this way. Connectingall with God isyoga. Why I have done in
this way? I do not know. I wantedto marry Krishna from my youngest age and merge
with God like Andaldid. I connect my death with God also. I will not die, but merge my
body with God without dying. Death has now also becomeyoga. From birth todeath,all
is onlyyoga. All the feelings that arise from birth come from thesource of feelings.
Whatever feelings we have which come from this sourcefrom birth todeath,we have to
connect to God. This is Brahma Sutra. This has now come asYogaSutra.
Saintsandsages teachyogain a variety of ways. They conductyogaclasses. The
Gita teaches18 Yogas. I however only know oneyoga, ‘Twenty four hours a day living in
thoughts of God’. I do not know whatkundaliniisorhow to make it rise! I do not know
any of these things. I only know one thing, ‘I want Swami, I want Swami’. My mind,
intellect and senses are only crying for this one thing. I have spent my entire life in this
way. When I caught hold of Krishna, who is Yogeshwara, then all paths ofyogabecame
my li
fe.

3