Friday, November 29, 2013

the e-Newsletter Prema Vahini of Νοvember 
from Mukthi Nilayam is available in our e-Library


When you show one-pointed devotion to God with a pure heart, wisdom will arise and show the light of truth.


Five states of a Sadhaka (cont…)
 Among the Saivites, there was one Bhaktha who was once deeply immersed in the worship of Lord Shiva. One day, his mind was occupied by a serious doubt; “I am worshipping God with such intense devotion. Is it real Bhakthi? Will I still have the thought of God if I loose my mind, or will I behave like an ordinary madman?” As an experiment, he took an herbal mixture that induces madness. He asked some devotees to give him an antidote after noting down whatever he uttered. Even when mad, he was continuously chanting the names of God. After some days due to the antidote, he became normal. But the words, which he uttered while temporarily insane, became the famous verses in praise of God known as ‘Unmathashtakam:’ verses rendered in euphoria. He became known as ‘Unmathanayanar’ meaning, the one who is euphoric. This is an example of true devotion. Though he temporarily lost his mind, the madness he experienced was for God only. There is a reason why I am writing about this here. Today, ever since I got up at 3:30 am I have been yearning for Bhagavan and calling Him by several names. Swami came in my meditation and asked, “What are you mumbling about?” I answered, “I do not know Swami. Like a mad person, I call you by several names. Do you like it Swami? Is there any meaning to these mad utterances?”
Swami responded, “Will a mother look for any meaning in the prattle of her child? That prattle itself gives her extreme bliss.”
You will be shocked to know how I have ranted and raved like a mad person. In my ecstasy, I used to utter pet names for Swami like Rajappa, Kannappa, Saiappa, Pappukanha and so on. These were my offerings of worship, Archanas. One should constantly call on the Lord and pray to Him, suffer for Him. The story of Unmaththa Nayanar is an ideal example of how mad one can become with love and yearning for God. One should become mad for Him, at times even becoming hysterical. We should be as thirsty for God as we are for water. Just as the fish desperately gasps for air, when it is taken out of water, we should also have the same longing for God. God sustains only such people, in the state of Bartha. (cont...)