Thursday, March 7, 2013

Thought for the day
To know that peace lies within oneself is true knowledge
From the book Sai Gita Prvachanam



T
he third chapter of the Gita is Karma Yoga. Karma Yoga is 
the practice of turning ordinary action into union with God. It is not a yoga exercise 
performed in some solitary place. Karma or ‘Action’ means the normal daily actions that we 
perform. Walking, sitting, speaking, writing and every thing we do is Karma. 

Nobody can exist without performing actions for a single minute. Even breathing is Karma; 
so in fact we are involved in action every second of life and even in sleep. However, we are 
deluded... caught in the desire for ordinary gains from our actions. 

What is the reason for all our activities? We are doing continual work from morning till 
evening without any break. We have to manage a family and bring up children. We work in order 
to give them a good education and a comfortable life. What has one gained after doing so much, 
in the face of so many troubles, insults and obstacles? Peace is lost and life is disturbed. To get 
relief from these troubles and mental disturbances, we take refuge in cinema, drama, TV and 
magazines. We meet up with our friends and spend our time gossiping with them. Do we get 

peace or solace? At the most, we are able to forget about the weariness that plagues our mind for 
a brief moment. When we reach home, again, all the old worries surround us. 

If this is true, then isn’t all the happiness from things of the world only momentary? Man 
fails to think about it. When he realizes that the peace he gets from these things is not real 
and tries to find out the source of real peace, then begins his spiritual journey. If we were to 
make an earnest attempt, God is there to help us. By performing all our daily Karmas as offerings 
to God, we will attain the tranquility and peace that we have been searching for. How should we 
perform Karma as an offering to God? 

There were two weavers. One is an ordinary weaver, the other weaver is Kabirdas, who as he
works, recites the name of Lord Rama, sings songs in praise of Him and thinks that the cloth he 
weaves is for the Lord. Both men go to the market, sell their wares and receive money. Along 
with the material wealth, which they both enjoy, Kabirdas gets a bonus in the form of Bhakthi. 

This is spiritual wealth. Through offering his work to God, Kabirdas has elevated ordinary
weaving to the higher status of Karma Yoga.
Korakumba was a potter. He used to sing the name of God while making his pots. The
ordinary potter makes earthenware vessels and pots, sells them and makes a living. As 
Korakumba combined his work with Bhakthi, he is honored as a Karma Yogi and received the 

grace of God. With a change in our outlook, ordinary actions can be turned into Karma Yoga.
One receives a lot of benefit from dedicating actions at the feet of the Lord. The Karma Yogi
leads his worldly life but at the same time secures the affection of God. Let us see how we can 
implement this in our everyday lives. I have written at length about this in my book Prema 

Nivarana Sai in the chapter on constant Sadhana.
When I wake up, I usually pray that my hands should be the ones that give and not take from
others. Before I put my feet on the floor I touch it and pray that Mother Earth give me the same
tolerance she has. She tolerates even those who excavate her! Like this, I combine each of my
daily tasks with God. When I brush my teeth, I mentally recite the slokas (verses) from the Gita.
Before I start cooking I write, ‘Om Sri Sai Ram’ on the stove and the food processor. When I
light the stove, I say, ‘Matru devo bhava, pitru devo bhava and Aacharya devo bhava’ (Mother is 
God, Father is God, Guru is God). I start my cooking after praying to Agni Deva (god of fire) and 
consider the stove itself is a Yagna Kund. I pray that the food that is prepared from this ritual fire 
must give Satva Guna to all. In this way, everyday cooking becomes Yoga.