Sunday, August 11, 2013

Thought for the day

Everything is God; there is nowhere He is not.



From the book Divine Stories
 
SWAN AND DUCK
One day a duck asked a swan, “We two are of the same kind but why do people only praise you? They compare the walk of a beautiful young lady with your walk. They make fun of my walk.”
The swan replied, “We two are of the same kind however our behavior is different. You always live in dirty water and eat dirty mud, always dirt. I am swimming in pure water. I can fly higher, if they mix milk and water. I separate the milk and drink it. I am the vehicle of
Saraswathi Devi who is the Queen of Knowledge. I am pure!”

The swan and duck are both birds but are different in many ways. In the same way, all human beings are of the same kind yet one man lives like a wild beast, while the other lives like a saint, a Mahatma. How is it? Two men are the same; both have two hands, two legs, two eyes, one nose, all is the same. The limbs of the body are the same. Yet, one man becomes a Mahatma and one becomes a wild animal. One man discriminates between good and bad and chooses the good. Like the swan, he omits the bad and takes only the good. The swan separates the water and drinks the milk. This is why they call saints Paramahamsas*. I say, “Why reject the water? I will make the water into milk and drink it.” First man must live as a man. Then he must become a Mahatma. Then he becomes God.

*Another name for Swan is hamsa.